A bag valve mask, sometimes known by the proprietary name Ambu bag or generically as a manual resuscitator or “self-inflating bag”, is a hand-held device commonly used to provide positive pressure ventilation to patients who are not breathing or not breathing adequately.
It consist of: Self-inflating bag, one way valve, mask, Oxygen reservoir
How to use an Ambu bag
1. Open mouth, clear airway of all foreign matter and fluids. the use of an emergency aspirator is recommended. tilt head fully back wards and push the jaw upwards with neck stretched to open the airway.
2. To assist ventilation it may be beneficial to insert an artificial airway. Be careful that it does not push the tongue back and thus obstruct the throat.
3. Hold mask tightly to victim’s face, covering mouth and nose, tilt head fully backwards, mask-holding hand lifting jaw forward. Squeeze the bag smartly and watch chest expand.
4. Release pressure on the bag suddenly and allow the chest to deflate. Repeat 12-20 times per minute, or 30 times in the case of infants.
If continued resistance to insufflation is encountered, check for airway obstruction or correct the backward head tilt. If adequate ventilation is not achieved with the resuscitator, immediately revert to expired air ventilation (mouth to mouth or mouth to nose)
5. The correct ventilation frequency may vary. always follow the current ventilation frequency recommended by national or international guide’lines
6. If the patient vomits during mask ventilation, immediately clear the patient’s airways of vomitus, then freely compress the bag a few times before resuming ventilation
7. Adult version: the pressure limiting valve is open at 60cmH²O.
Pediatric and infant version: The pressure limiting valve is open at 40cmH²O
Alpha Surgicals Supplies Ltd have a wide range of manual resuscitator, rubber and silicone, the beauty with silicone it can be autoclaved